Provence & Côte d'Azur: Party spirals out of control as owners of the property are away
Wild party mimics Hollywood movie
An unoccupied villa in Roquebrune sur Argens has been left in complete ruin after a party spiralled out of control over the weekend thanks to an open invitation on Facebook.
The party attracted around 800 rowdy guests on Saturday night after it had been promoted on the social network site, Facebook. Late in the night, the social gathering developed into a destructive rampage as guests, fuelled by alcohol, began to throw furniture into the outdoor swimming pool, break glass doors and smash up ornaments within the residence, which is situated in a quiet seaside resort.
"We were coming home after eating out in a restaurant in Saint Maxime and after having decided to take a small road, we were welcomed by a mass of cars and teenagers on the street – there must have been around 60 cars and 150 guests outside, they were so loud, I was really shocked," a foreign tourist told local newspaper Nice Matin.
Police responded to a complaint made by neighbouring residents about the noise and immediately closed the party. An investigation has now been opened to track down those responsible. Some individuals are already being questioned by police.
"We are currently in the process of identifying the owner of the damaged occupied villa," said the Prosecutor of Draguignan, Danielle Drouy-Ayral. The property is currently being managed by police officers.
The party seems to have been inspired by Project x – a recent film about three high school students who throw a huge party to gain popularity, only to have it quickly spiral out of control. Since the film was released in March this year, a a string of copycat parties have taken place around the world, emulating the film in real life. A more dramatic example was in Houston in America when a party in March turned deadly after guests began firing guns, killing one person.
Police have made two arrests in connection with the house party. Yesterday, one suspect, Allan was questioned and held in police custody - he is believed to be the main organiser of the party. However police are still searching for other culprits linked to this wild event.
On Monday, Alan had been interviewed by regional newspaper Nice Matin. He claims that he only intended on having a smaller gathering of 200 friends and had originally wanted to rent another villa from an agency in the district before the owner had backed out at the last minute. "After the agency failed to find a replacement, someone had published a house address on facebook and by this time it seemed impossible to cancel the party" he stated, "I am deeply disgusted by what has happened."